Montana Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form MV65)
The Montana Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form MV65) must be used by any vehicle owner who wants to elect another individual or a business to become their Attorney in Fact for their motor vehicle. By completing this form issued by the Montana Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division, they will in effect grant their Attorney in Fact the “full authority to execute any and all instruments, documents, affidavits, etc. to effect registration, transfer of title, application for title” for their motor vehicle. Any additional acts the owner wants their Attorney in Fact to carry out regarding their motor vehicle may also be specified in the form.
State Laws & Signing Requirements
State Laws – Uniform Power of Attorney Act
Signing Requirements – The Montana Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division specifies a number of signing requirements on the form that must be fulfilled in order for a Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney to be filed. The requirements are as follows:
- It must be signed by the motor vehicle owner.
- If an individual holds the POA, they must write the name of the owner, followed by their signature and the word “POA.”
- If a business holds the POA, they must write their business name, followed by their signature and the word “POA.”
- A Notary Public must acknowledge the POA application with their signature and notary stamp/seal.
- If a Purchaser is involved in the POA application, they must sign the form.